All Things Sanskrit: Free Online Sanskrit Course
Following the positive reactions to last year’s (and still ongoing) course, we will again be offering an online Sanskrit course based on The Cambridge Introduction to Sanskrit.
– The most recent course just started on 1 October 2018.
– It will require about three hours of work per week and will take you through the book in about two years.
– Participants will receive weekly emails (sent through Google Groups) that set a certain amount of work and list the various resources that will take them through that material: in addition to the relevant pages of the book, each chapter comes with its own video and online flashcards as well as freely downloadable supplementary handouts.
– There is no fixed course time; anyone can do the work and access the materials at whatever time(s) during the week best suits them.
– Exercises from the textbook will be assigned each week, and the Key to them provided.
– Each week concludes with a self-graded test; and every six or so chapters, there will be a more comprehensive exam.
There are no fees, no credits and no certificates; the course’s sole purpose is to help people learn Sanskrit. The only monetary cost participants incur is they need to buy the textbook.
If you are interested (or know someone who might be), please join the google group for the course:
(You can unsubscribe at any time.)
If you are interested in joining the advanced course that started in October 2017 (and is at Chapter 18 in October 2018), please send a blank email to
There also is a Facebook group used for asking questions about each week’s material and anything else relating to the course.
If you are interested in (paid) private or small-group tuition to accompany this course, or if you have any other questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. And feel free to forward this course description widely!